THE INDUSTRIAL INTERNET VOCABULARY TECHNICAL REPORT V 2.1
We are pleased to announce version 2.1 of the Industrial Internet Vocabulary Technical Report which specifies a common set of definitions for effective communication within the Industrial Internet ecosystem.
WHY A NEW VERSION OF THE INDUSTRIAL INTERNET VOCABULARY TECHNICAL REPORT
The Industrial Internet Vocabulary Technical Report was first published in July 2015 and updated in July 2017. Similar to all Industrial Internet Consortium publications, this report is a living document that will continually represent the latest thinking of the Industrial Internet Consortium and the Industrial Internet community. This new, August 2018, version of the Industrial Internet Vocabulary Technical Report reflects the following major updates:
- It defines several terms that are important in the field of Edge Computing, data management, interoperability, connectivity and IT/OT convergence.
- It updates all the domain and viewpoint definitions that are important for and used in the IIC’s Industrial Internet Reference Architecture (IIRA).
- Cleanup and alignment of all interdependent terms to create a cohesive whole.
- Several new precise definitions for edge, edge computing, brownfield, greenfield, ICS, IT/OT convergence.
The Industrial Internet Vocabulary Technical Report is a product of the Industrial Internet Consortium Vocabulary Task Group, under the Technology Working Group chaired by Anish Karmarkar (Oracle) and Bob Martin (The MITRE Corporation). Vocabulary Task Group participants represent a broad spectrum of the Industrial Internet Consortium membership and include systems and software architects, business experts, security experts and participants from many of the other Industrial Internet Consortium working and task groups. The editors of this version are Anish Karmarkar (Oracle) and Marcellus Buchheit (Wibu-Systems). A substantial portion of material content was authored by the following contributing members:
- Anish Karmarkar (Oracle)
- Frederick Hirsch (Fujitsu)
- Erin Bournival (Dell EMC)
- Marcellus Buchheit (Wibu-Systems)
- Eric Simmon (NIST)
- Will Sobel (VIMANA)
- Rajive Joshi (RTI)
- Sven Schrecker (Intel)
- Shi-Wan Lin (Thingswise)
- Jesus Molina (Waterfall Security)
- Tom Rutt (Fujitsu)
- Bradford Miller (GE)
- Jacques Durand (Fujitsu)
- Paul Didier (Cisco)
- Amine Chigani (GE)
- Reinier Torenbeek (RTI)
- David Duggal (EnterpriseWeb)
- Robert Martin (MITRE)
- Graham Bleakley (IBM)
- Andrew King (University Of Pennsylvania)
- Robert Lembree (Intel)
- Hamed Soroush (RTI)
- Jason Garbis (RSA)
- Mark Crawford (SAP)
- Eric Harper (ABB)
- Kaveri Raman (AT&T)
- Brian Witten (Symantec)
- Andrew Ginter (Waterfall Security)
- David Meltzer (Tripwire)
Individuals from the following organizations have also contributed valuable ideas and feedback that significantly improved the content and quality of this document.
- cébé IT & Knowledge Management
- Twin Oaks Computing
- Object Management Group
- Cyber-X Labs
Have questions or comments about the Industrial Internet Vocabulary Technical Report or the Industrial Internet Consortium? Email us at [email protected] for a prompt reply.Download PDF FAQ