The Business Strategy and Solution Lifecycle Working Group provides guidance and best practices for all aspects of developing and operating an Industrial Internet solution: business-case creation, architecture design, technology selection, implementation, testing, rollout and operations.
The goal of this Working Group is to help companies leverage the potential of the Industrial Internet, increase return on investment, manage project risks more efficiently, and establish a foundation for evaluating solutions and their compliance. The Working Group will also provide a foundation for defining Industrial Internet Systems certification and compliance programs, to be shared within and outside of the Industrial Internet Consortium.
Its activities fall under four major themes:
- Business Strategy & Planning: identify and prioritize Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) opportunities, analyze business requirements, prepare business cases and evaluate viability of IIoT business models. Read the Business Strategy and Innovation Framework for a high-level identification and analysis of issues that any enterprise will need to address to capitalize on the opportunities emerging from this current revolution that is the IIoT.
- Industrial Internet System design: best practices and methodologies for using and implementing the Industrial Internet Reference Architecture including security and system characteristics.
- IIoT Project Management: how to plan, develop and deploy an IIoT solution, organizational aspects and IT / OT collaboration, assets management and production line set-up. Solution lifecycle management challenges include deploying, operating, upgrading, modifying, consolidating and scaling up.
The objectives and goals of the Working Group build upon and complement the results delivered by the Industrial Internet Consortium Testbed Working Group. The methodology guidance and best practices produced by the Business Strategy and Solution Lifecycle Working Group will support the strategy and business case perspective of Industrial Internet solutions as well as the project implementation perspective.
Business Strategy and Solution Lifecycle Task Groups:
- Business Strategy: The Business Strategy Task Group is identifying and analyzing, at a high level, all of the key issues that an enterprise will need to address to fully exploit IIoT concepts for commercial (or other) gain. Chair: Jim Morrish
- Ecosystem: The Ecosystem Task Group is responsible for helping members leverage the Industrial Internet Consortium and its ecosystem for business benefit. Co-Chairs: Stan Schneider, Real Time Innovations (RTI); @RTIStan; Bassam Zarkout, IGnPower
- Use Cases: The Use Cases Task Group works toward collecting and developing specific use cases that focus on issues in industrial domains and/or possess technological and market relevance. Acting Chair: Jim Morrish